Financial Aid Checklist
Follow these steps to apply for federal student aid:
Step One: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the FAFSA website and enter University of Denver (DU) school code 001371. The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal aid and is required if you wish to apply for federal student loans. You will need your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Ensure that your social security number is on file at the school if you are admitted.
Step Two: If you accept a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and you are a first-time borrower at DU, complete the following loan requirements at the Federal Student Aid website:
- Entrance Counseling
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Step Three: Evaluate your need for additional funding sources such as the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, a federal loan available to graduate students who have no adverse credit history. Repayment of this loan is deferred until you graduate. Follow these steps to apply:
- Visit the Federal Student Aid website.
- Request a Grad PLUS Loan.
- Complete the Grad PLUS MPN.
- Learn more about the Grad PLUS Loan on the DU Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan Web page.
Step Four: Monitor your application status through the DU PioneerWeb website. Once you have applied for financial aid and have been admitted to the University of Denver, log in to your PioneerWeb account frequently to review your financial aid requirements on the Incoming Grad Students or Student tab. If you have an item in PioneerWeb with a red flag next to it, there are additional steps you must take.
Step Five: After submitting all the requirements listed above, wait for us to send your financial aid award letter via email.
Step Six: Accept or decline your award by logging in to the DU PioneerWeb website and completing the following steps:
- Click on the Incoming Grad Students or Student tab.
- Click on View and Accept Award Offer in the Financial Aid Awards box.
- Select the current Aid Year.
- Click on the Terms and Conditions tab, review and click Accept.
- Click on the Accept Award Offer tab.
- Choose Accept or Decline in the drop-down box next to each award.
- If you wish to accept only a portion of a loan, type the amount in the Accept Partial Amount box. (Remember that any amount you accept will be split evenly across your terms of enrollment—i.e., fall, winter, spring and summer quarters.)
- Click Submit Decision.
Note: Additional Documentation
We may need additional documentation in order to verify that the information on your application is correct. If we need further information, we will send you an email. You must submit all requested documents before we can finalize your financial aid award.
For more detailed information on Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs, visit the FSA website.