Field internships allow you to put into practice the concepts and theories you learn in your online class sessions, gaining valuable experience working with real clients in professional settings.
Throughout your internships — which will take place at sites in or near your own community — you will work hand-in-hand with trained social workers to hone your own practice. Your internships are your chance to explore social work practice areas that you find particularly interesting. Since social work expands across a variety of disciplines, you will be encouraged to pursue internships that go beyond traditional clinical practice. You may complete your internship in settings such as:
- Correctional programs and facilities
- Community mental health centers
- Community nonprofits
- State government
- District attorney and public defender offices
- Policy think tanks
- Worker’s unions
During your time in the program you will complete two internships:
Foundation Year Internship – 12 hours a week
The foundation year internship builds upon your values, knowledge and skills as they relate to the social work profession. You will work in a variety of client systems to discover which aspect of the field interests you most.
Concentration Year Internship – 15 hours a week
Your concentration year is your time to focus your studies on an aspect of social work that is of personal and professional interest to you. You will focus on the professional skills you need for advanced social work practice in mental health and trauma.
How Placement Works
We are here to support you. Whether you live in Colorado or thousands of miles away, we will help you find the right fit within your community. We have nationwide relationships with internship sites that provide clinical and community interventions.
- You will begin working with a field placement specialist when you enroll in the program.
- Your dedicated specialist will learn your interests and find you an appropriate, GSSW-approved internship site in or near your community.
- Throughout your internship, you will work with your field liaison and field coordinator to ensure your experience is meeting curricular milestones and goals, and you will be supervised at your site by an experience social work professional.
Get Started Today
To learn more about MSW@Denver, request information and an admission counselor will contact you.